Kratos is an all-around fighter and is considered to be one of the strongest characters in the game. He is a popular choice for beginners at the game as a result. His combination of gap-closing moves and large Area of Effect melee attacks make him effective in close combat as well as mid range. His Apollo's Bow is able to cover the entire horizontal length of any stage. He is especially deadly when his enemies are grouped together.
- Olympic Fury - - A three hit combo with the Blades of Athena (left slash, right slash, double outward slash).
- Combat Grapple - or + - Kratos flings his weapons forward, pulling himself in with a tackle if they hit.
- Olympic Ascension - + - An upwards slash with the weapons that causes launch. Hold to follow the enemy.
- Olympic Storm - + - A sweeping slash that trips the opponent.
- Olympic Fury - (Air) (Air) (Air) - Same as the ground version (left slash, right slash, double upwards slash).
- Olympic Crash - or + (Air) - A double slash with weapons that sends opponent back.
- Cyclone of Chaos - + (Air) - Kratos spins his weapons around him, dealing multiple hits.
- Athena's Revenge - + (Air) - A downward slash with weapons that causes knockdown.
- Plume of Prometheus - - A downward smash with weapons. Causes launch.
- Spartan Charge - or + - A charge attack with shield and spear in hand.
- Brutal Ascension - + - A diagonal upward attack with the heads of the Nemean Cestus.
- Barbaric Crash - + - A massive smash with a hammer that causes a small fire shockwave.
- Athena's Fury - (Air) - A vertically spinning attack with weapons.
- Spartan Glory - or + (Air) (Mash ) - A quick stabbing attack with spear. Can be mashed for a flurry of thrusts.
- Vicious Maul - + (Air) - A wide spinning attack with the heads of the Nemean Cestus.
- Barbarian Might - + (Air) - Same as Barbaric Crash, only Kratos falls to the ground and smashes on impact.
- Apollo's Bow - - Fires a shot using Apollo's Bow. Can be mashed for more shots, or can be charged by holding the button.
- Helios' Flash - or + - Unleashes a flash of light from the decapitated head of Helios which causes knockdown. Can be charged by holding the button.
- Icarus Ascension - + - Summons the Wings of Icarus and flies at an upward angle.
- Golden Fleece - + - A counterattack by reflecting with the Golden Fleece. If physical, counters with an attack with weapons. If magical, counters with a small energy beam.
- Apollo's Bow - (Air) - Same as the grounded version.
- Helios' Flash - or + (Air) - Same as the grounded version, only aimed at a downward angle.
- Icarus Ascension - + (Air One allowed per air state) - Same as the grounded version.
- Golden Fleece - + (Air) - Same as the grounded version.
- Battering Ram - or - Grabs the opponent and does a half-screen charge before throwing them away.
- Furious Uppercut - - Grabs the opponent and tosses them up before pulling them back down with his weapon.
- Cestus Slam - - Grabs the opponent and slams them down with the Nemean Cestus.
Divine Fury - Equips a giant sword and dashes forward with a slash, killing any opponent on impact.
Divine Reckoning - Stabs the giant sword into the ground, causing a black tornado to appear around Kratos. Can kill from above.
Rage of the Gods - Grows to giant size and dons the armor he wore as the God of War, using the giant sword to pour out his wrath. Press Square to perform a three-hit sword combo. Press Triangle to perform a diving stab attack, then an upwards slash. Press circle to fire a blast of energy.