WIELDER OF THE GODLY BLADE
|Voiced By||Jennifer Hale (English)|
Yūko Kaida (Japanese)
Chiara Colizzi (Italian)
|Appears in||PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale|
- "Victory awaits."
CAN NO ONE STAND AGAINST ME?
Nariko’s birth was meant to serve as the arrival of the savior of her clan, the one who could wield the legendary Heavenly Sword, a fate originally foretold of a male. Despite her people’s rejection, her father raised her to be a headstrong and fearless fighter. Joined with the legendary blade, she finds her skills, and her enemies’ peril, amplified to heights undreamed of.
THE LEGACY OF NARIKO:
- Heavenly Sword
Nariko is seen talking to her sword, saying that it brings nothing but pain and sorrow. She's determined to master her sword, to "tame" it. Nariko hears of warriors who claim they are better than her. So she heads out of her homeland to fight them and prove herself worthy.
- "So many people have died because of you, sword. And what did it ever bring them in return? Nothing. Nothing but pain and sorrow... Now I realize without me you are nothing but an ornate lump of metal. I will unlock all your secrets. Tame you, wield you, and release my people from your shackles. There is a place filled with warriors who consider themselves my equal. There, I will be tested and prove myself worthy. I will become master of this sword. And none will learn so faster than those who stand in my way."
- —Words by Nariko
Reason: While Nariko is alone in her thoughts about how she will soon have total control of her sword, Dante suddenly arrives, saying, "Soon is already... too late." Nariko slams her foot on the handle of his sword, stopping him from lifting it from his back, and tells him that she wants no business with him and to keep his sword away. Dante refuses and then brings out his sword and tells her it's not the kind of sword that keeps hidden. Nariko tells him he won't be walking away at all and then they begin to fight.
Connection: Nariko is a character created by Ninja Theory, and this version of Dante appears in the Ninja Theory reimagining of Devil May Cry. They both are from games that focus on fast, hack n' slash gameplay. Nariko and Dante have both faced persecution, with Nariko being rejected by her people, and Dante being wanted by the human authorities. Additionally, both use a sword with divine origins.
Nariko: With each victory, I feel the power getting stronger within me. Soon I'll have total control of this blade.
(Dante drops in.)
Dante: Soon? Soon is already... too late.
(Nariko stops him from bringing out his sword.)
Nariko: I have no quarrel with you, stranger. Keep that blade sheathed, and you can walk away unscathed.
(Dante brings out his sword.)
Dante: You have to know that's not happening. Does this look like the kind of sword you keep hidden?
Nariko: Then I'm afraid you won't be walking away from here at all.
Nariko returns to her homeland, more powerful than ever. She claims that her enemies saw that she's getting stronger. She also realises that it's not the sword that has power, it's her. As Bohan and his army approches her, Nariko glows with Polygon Man's power, screaming to them that she is their doom.
- "All along, it was me who held the power. The others who stood against me, the ones I've defeated, saw it. And now I see it, too. The armies of Bohan sense that things have changed. Their great numbers are meaningless against me. It's not the sword. It's me, the one who holds it. Without me, the sword is nothing. This is the moment I was born for. When I wield the Sword, evil cannot stand. My people will be free. Bohan! You've lost already. I am Nariko. I am your doom!"
- —Words by Nariko
Quotes and TauntsEdit
- That Was Pitiful - Nariko turns her head away from the opponent while saying, "You reek of fear!"
- You Haven't the Courage - Nariko shakes her head while saying, "You consider yourself a warrior?"
- Embrace the Afterlife - Nariko says, "Your time is at an end."
- When selected:
- We shall reach the promised land.
- Destiny calls.
- I won't fail you.
- Item Pick-up:
- A gift from the gods.
- A fitting remedy.
- I'm counting on it.
- More fury to every blow.
- A welcome surprise.
- Precisely what I required.
- Could this be the answer?
- Fate has rewarded me.
- I can wield this.
- Thank the heavens.
- I can feel its power.
- I may need this.
- I must savor this.
- Just what I've been seeking.
- Now is the time.
- This shall not be in vain.
- My prayer's heard.
- What is written is true.
- Using Twing-Twang:
- Using Dawn Siege:
- Prepare to die!
- Using The Goddess:
- My will is unstoppable!
- Successful KO's:
- Another fine trophy of this war.
- Your heart beats no longer!
- You're trapped like a rat!
- My enemies fall!
- Here is your dignified burial.
- Embrace your doom.
- Your end is written.
- Defeat engulfs you.
- Here is your dignified end.
- Ha! You poor little thing.
- My sword shall take your soul!
- Embrace the afterlife.
- Darkness now consumes you.
- Mercy is mine to give...yours to ask for.
- If only you knew the names I've been given.
- Can no one stand against me?
- The vultures may collect you now.
- Your end is written.
- No mercy!
- Another lost in battle.
- Whose next to perish?
- Keep watch! I am coming for you!
- Hell's gate awaits you!
- A lady never boasts.
- The corpses are mounting.
- I've faced monsters far more corruped.
- The gods frown on you this day.
- Another falls to the sword.
- Whose next to perish?
- You cannot run forever.
- You haven't the courage to fight me.
- I shall be the last one standing.
- You can't even kill me!
- Not even the gods can stop me!
- You do not suffer alone.
- Pray Heaven embraces you.
- That was pitiful.
- The pits of Hell hold no fear for me.
- Your time had come.
- You want style? Come on then!
- You fall like a leaf.
- The blade has claimed another.
- Sealed the coward's fate.
- Fate engulfs you.
- Slaughter...my enemies full!
- You're finished.
- Your death was written.
- They say I'm a portent of doom.
- I shall be merciless.
- Agony awaits you!
- Come on, you coward!
- You'll make a great trophy.
- Come...test your valor.
- Oh, it's so much better when you're angry.
- Fury burns within me.
- All is not lost.
- Fate has returned me.
- You cowards feel brave?
- You cannot banish me!
- Nothing...to fear.
- I cannot be contained!
- The tide will turn!
- I shall not hesitate.
- Prepare to be beaten!
- I shall make the gods tremble!
- I shall fight for what is mine!
- The sword has revived me.
- Cross me and perish.
- Come meet my steel.
- My resolve is stronger.
- Ready to unleash hell.
- Prepared for battle.
- You've awoken a beast!
- One battle at a time.
- My will in unventing
- I shall not fail.
- Who dares face me?!
- I still stand.
- Escaped Hell's grasp.
- Cross me and perish.
- It's not too late.
- Risen once again!
- Unused lines
- Fate is on your side.
- No one can match us.
- Victory awaits.
- We must make haste.
- Your cause is mine.
- My sword is yours.
- A wise choice.
- We fight as one.
- Fight together... or die alone.
- Fight together... or fall alone.
- Do I even have a choice?
- I choose my own way.
- Let this hour be our finest.
- We are ready.
- As you command.
Intros and OutrosEdit
- The Art of Battle: Nariko turns around and goes into guarding stance.
- Come Meet My Steel:Nariko jumps down, twirls her blade in her right hand, then takes out her other blade with her other.
- I Chose My Own Way: Nariko holds her blade in one hand behind her back, then pulls it in front of her it and holds it with both.
- Divine Strength: Has her back turned to the camera as pedals fall, then turns while spinning her blade in one hand, ending with her holding it backward behind her back.
- Destiny Fulfilled: Nariko stands up, her blades pointed to each side.
- Triumph of the Ages: Nariko twirls the blade in her right hand.
- Moment of Victory: Nariko stomps on the ground with her right foot.
- One With the Sword: Nariko holds the blade and feels it as it shines.
- If using Destiny Fulfilled: She puts her sword into the ground and falls down.
- If using Triumph of the Ages: Nariko falls over.
- If using Moment of Victory: Nariko lies on the ground.
- If using One with the Sword: Nariko turns around in disappointment.
Win: Looks at camera with sword in her hands pointed at it.
Lose: Kneels, holding the sword, which is planted in the ground.
Daughter of Shen (unlocked at rank 4)
Trophy of Heaven (unlocked at rank 45)
Nariko's default costume is based on her default appearance from Heavenly Sword.
Nariko's pre-order costume.
- Default - White robe and white cloth
- Black robe and black cloth
- Pale purple robe and red cloth
- Yellow robe and yellow cloth
A costume that's loosely based on her father's armor. Unlocked by turning Rank 10.
- Default- Red armor with dark greenish and red cloths
- Sliver armor with silver cloths
- Purple armor with white and purple cloths
- Silver armor with beige and yellow cloths
- Nariko is the first female character to get her own stage.
- Game Director Omar Kendall has cited Nariko as his favorite character.
- Nariko is the second female character revealed for the game.
- Nariko is Ninja Theory's first character in the game (the second being Dante from the Devil May Cry reboot, DmC: Devil May Cry).
- In reference to this, Nariko is Dante's rival in-game.
- Nariko's Level 2 Super is very vulnerable to any Supers when not aiming at them. In other words, attack from behind.
- Nariko is one of two characters who's trophies for completing the arcade mode is the title of the game series they come from. the other is Kratos.
- Nariko, Sir Daniel and Jak are the only characters whos original voice actor did not reprise their roles in this game.
- However, in the Italian dub, Nariko and Jak got their original Italian actors.
- Nariko is one of only eight first-party characters who started on the PlayStation 3, the others being Cole MacGrath/Evil Cole, Colonel Radec, Fat Princess, Nathan Drake, Emmett Graves, and Sackboy.
- Nariko and Sir Daniel Fortesque are the last non-DLC characters to be revealed.
- Both also have stages that are released as DLCs.
- In Japanese, Nariko means Gentle Child, which is the complete difference for her.
- In both her's and Dante's rival cutscenes, her hair is constantly clipping through her body.
- In the game's opening, her hair glows.
- Nariko's main menu background is sakura petals.
- Nariko is one of five characters that dies in the game series they come from, the others being Colonel Radec, Cole MacGrath, Sweet Tooth and Zeus.
- Nariko's funeral in the ending of Heavenly Sword is very similar to Cole MacGrath's funeral in the Good Ending of inFamous 2, as they are both drifted out to sea with their bodies on boats accompanied by their closest friends (Zeke Dunbar, and Kai and Shen, respectively.)
- And both did face resentment early on, with Nariko being a woman when the wielder of the sword was prophesied to be a man, and Cole for the death and destruction caused by the Ray Sphere.
- Out of the entire cast, Nariko may have possibly the most dialogue during battle.
- One of Nariko's successful KO quotes, "Oh, it's so much better when you're angry," is the exact quote that Whiptail, one of Bohan's generals, said to Nariko before their battle in Heavenly Sword, which Nariko herself would say back to her.