Raiden, like Dante, is a combo-heavy character and uses his sword to rack up his AP. He is also one of the only characters to sport a parry counter-attack. Raiden is one of the only characters that is exclusively melee; however, his high mobility, abundance of large combos, and very quick attack execution easily make him one of the most deadly characters in close-quarter scenarios.
While Raiden's attacks are often predictable and unsafe (especially after the recent modifications to his forward grab), as well as being an exclusively Melee character in a heavily-projectile based game, his other qualities more than make up for his apparant shortcomings. His large movility in moves such as his forward Circle, as well as midair moves such as Down Circle and Forward Triangle can easily close the distance and apply pressure to ranged characters, such as Radec.
The most noticable abillity for Raiden, however, is his extremely high combo-potential, which can lead to heavy AP gain if pulled off sucessfully. Notable for Raiden is his abillity to combo into a Launcher, and resume with the Aerial Cut 5-hit combo- common combos into it include Leaping Cut to Launching Cut, as well as his Parry into Launching Cut, or Heel Drop Kick. This can be an easy way for Raiden to obtain 90+ AP, especially when combined with moves such as Iai-Giri, leading to a lengthy 140 AP combo. However, these must be used with caution, as they can easily be interuppted by an enemy for double AP- or worse, a double kill.
What seperated Raiden from other close-ranged fighters such as Parappa and Heihachi, other than his manouvarability, is his abillity to combo into his Level 1 and 2 in a variety of ways. Assuming that he is not interrupted, and the characters are on a flat terrain, Counter is a guaranteed a Lever 1 Super confirm, so there is little risk of wasting AP or leaving himself vunerable. However, as previously stated, these moves are all very predictable, which can lead your opponent to easily realise your stratagy and out-play you if used incorrectly.
- Single Hand Cut - () : Raiden performs a close-range 4-hit combo attack with his high-frequency blade.
- Back Cut - + : Raiden stabs directly behind him. Press Square for a follow-up slash.
- Leaping Cut - or + : Raiden moves forward and cuts. Causes butt-drop.
- Launcher +' : Raiden does a launching slash, knocking the opponent upwards.
- Jumping Roll Cut - + : Raiden performs an overhead slash after moving forward.
- Mid-Air Slice - (Air) - () : Raiden performs a 5-hit slashing combo with his high-frequency blade.
- Spinning Roll Cut - or + (Air) : Raiden spins forward, slashing enemies in his way.
- Air Launcher - + (Air) : Same as the ground version.
- Heel Slice - + (Air) : Raiden slashes downwards straight from the air.
- High Kick Cut - : Raiden does a fast, multi-hit combo. Has multiple enders depending on button presses.
- Flurry Kick - or + : Raiden does a rapid series of kicks, then knocks the opponent away.
- Rolling Thunder - + : Raiden does a flip kick, sending the opponent up and on the opposite side.
- Sweep Kick - + : Raiden does a sweeping 360 degree turning kick. Trips the opponent.
- Whirlwind Kick - (Air) : Raiden performs an aerial spinning kick.
- Falling Lightning - or + (Air) : Raiden falls diagonally downwards to attack the opponent, and backflips if the attack connects.
- Air Rolling Thunder - + (Air) : Same as the ground version.
- Slam Slice - + (Air) : Raiden does a long-ranged downward slash.
- Parry - : A counterattack technique.
- Lightning Strike - or + : Raiden slides forward and cuts.
- Horse Jump - + : Raiden jumps and does a double-footed stomp.
- Draw Attack - + : Raiden teleports next to a nearby opponent and cuts their legs, tripping them.
- Parry - (Air) : Same as the ground version.
- Air Lightning Strike - or + (Air) : Same as the ground version.
- Stomp - + (Air) : Raiden repeatedly stomps on the enemy in mid-air.
- Drill - + (Air) : Raiden pins an enemy to the ground with his blade.
- Forward Throw - or : Raiden stabs his enemy with his blade, causing them to crumple.
- Up Throw - : Raiden picks up his opponent with his blade and throws them away from him.
- Zan-Datsu - : Raiden stabs his opponent with his blade, flips them over his body and slams them to the ground, and quickly absorbs AP from them.
- Item Pick-up - : Pick up items, initiate mash-up.
- Block - : Raiden counters incoming attacks, successful counter can result in a follow-up hit.
- Evade - + or ; Safely rolls though attacks; vulnerable at the beginning and end.
Stormbringer - Raiden does an upside-down spinning kick-slash hybrid attack, cutting and defeating any enemies in his reach.
Blade Mode - Raiden unleashes a blast of energy around him, stunning any opponents who get caught up in the blast. You can then press any attack button to instantly kill the opponent, or you can move the right analog stick to make Raiden slash and cut through opponents.
The Box Revengeance! - Your opponent's will be trapped in cardboard boxes. Once Raiden closes his mask, he can then proceed to cut open the boxes to find his opponent's and eliminate them. All attacks can kill during this state.